Thursday, February 19, 2009

Neighbor (by Richard Hugo)

The drunk who lives across the street from us
fell in our garden, on the beet patch
yesterday. So polite. Pardon me,
he said. He had to be helped up and held,
steered home and put to bed, declaring
we got to have another drink and smile.

I admit my envy. I've found him in salal
and flat on his face in lettuce, and bent
and snoring by that thick stump full of rain
we used to sail destroyers on.
And I've carried him home so often
stone to the rain and me, and cheerful.

I try to guess what's in that dim warm mind.
Does he think about horizoned firs
black against the light, thirty years
ago, and the good girl--what's her name--
believing, or think about the dog
he beat to death that day in Carbonado?

I hear he's dead, and wait now on my porch.
He must be in his shack. The wagon's
due to come and take him where they take
late alcoholics, probably called Farm's End.
I plan my frown, certain he'll be carried out
bleeding from the corners of his grin.

2 comments:

  1. ha i thought you were talkin about your real neighboor. its funny because i have a neighboor like that . except she just gets drunk and drunkdials from her porch so everyone can hear her cursing out people on the phone

    ReplyDelete
  2. My neighbor is an old man who is the most frequent of churchgoers, and his daughter lives about 3 houses down, and HER daughter is in jail for stabbing my neighbor with a steak knife. I will gladly trade neighbors with the dude who wrote that poem.

    ReplyDelete