Friday, April 24, 2009

Good morning, MTSU

Wonderful morning. Birds singing. Coffee brewing. Seeds sprouting. Sprouts growing. Garden waking up!

Yesterday evening was my maiden voyage in new kayake. Put in on Stones River below the old dam close to Florence Road. I had seriously underestimated the current on my recon trip with Chloe Wednesday night. We hiked to the river farther downstream where the current is far more lazy. The water coming through the dam is swift; fortunately, the water's up, braiding the stream in and out of the flood plain on either side of the main channel, so I was able to paddle out of the swiftest current and into an eddy before I was carried too far downstream. And I sat, floating idle, thinking about that Kenneth Rexroth poem that starts out with him in a canoe, hands and feet over the side, floating idle (not the "Signature of All Things"?)...

Picked up some mussel shells and vacated snail shells for Chloe. Inspected a good portion of the river bed along the eastern shore and found it sufficiently intricate and fascinating!

No comments:

Post a Comment